Emerging Manager Marketing & Business Improvement Workshop
Our team is hosting an intensive full day Emerging Manager Marketing & Business Improvement workshop from 7:30AM to 3:30PM on February 9th, 2011 at the midtown New York Athletic Club in New York City. To access the details regarding this event in a printable PDF format please click here.
This workshop is sponsored by TradeStation Prime Services, a division of TradeStation Securities, Inc., Armor Compliance, and Viteos Fund Management.
Limitation: As of 1.10.2011 there are currently 45 seats left available for this event which will be sold on a first-come first-served basis.
Hello, My name is Richard Wilson,
The upcoming training workshop is all about running your fund business the right way and using best practices in emerging manager marketing. Within this program we will show you how to run your emerging hedge fund business in an efficient way that helps you attract new investors every year and without making the same $20,000 mistakes that hundreds of other hedge fund startups have made.
The upcoming workshop on emerging manager marketing can give you a real edge over other new hedge fund businesses competing with yours, guaranteed.
Here is how this exclusive workshop will provide you with well over $5,000 in Value:
- Together we will provide you with over 7 complete hours of workshop-based hedge fund training content and exercises covering capital raising, pedigree upgrading, governance best practices, securities lending, new compliance requirements for fund managers, investment process construction, legal considerations, positioning, and several common costly mistakes made by recent hedge fund startups
- Richard Wilson will walk you through our Emerging Manager Marketing & Business Improvement WorkBook will walk you through Step-By-Step hedge fund startup systems and processes you should be using within your hedge fund business to raise more capital and be more systematic in how you run your business
- Robert Sackett will be covering what securities lending means to those hedge funds with less than $200M in Assets Under Management (AUM), including the covering of the recent shift in securities lending access, continued borrowing pressure on small hedge funds (IB access)
- Douglas MacLean will cover many critical hedge fund compliance topics including an overview of the Securities Act, Investment Company Act, types of investors you can accept, marketing issues, placement agents, Form D, and State Blue Sky Laws
- Jonathan White will be providing you with help with how to improve your operational efficiencies, create a more institutional back office and operational environment, and how to avoid mistakes in assessing counter party and third party service provider agreements that could expose you to ongoing operational risk.
- We will walk through Section-by-Section instructions and tips for creating your PowerPoint pitch book that is expected or required to raise capital from every type of investor
- Richard will cover In-Depth explanations of the most common $20,000 mistakes most hedge funds fall into and specific action steps and exercises you can complete to avoid committing these same mistakes within your hedge fund business
- Richard will also be providing 17 direct lessons from successful fast growing hedge fund businesses that you can use within your new hedge fund
- You will get a copy of our Hedge Fund Business Plan Template for you to complete, helping you think through each area of your hedge fund business from the start
- You also get our 4 Hedge Fund PowerPoint Pitch Book Template swipe files you can download, modify, and use as your own for your hedge fund pitch book which is required to raise capital from investors
Workshop Trainers & Speakers
Richard C. Wilson has directly helped raise over $200M and has advised over 200 hedge fund managers on raising capital. With a background in direct capital raising, as well as third party marketing Richard has now provided training to over 1,000 hedge fund professionals in Moscow, London, New York, Bermuda, Chicago, Sao Paulo, Brussels, and Miami. Richard is the author of the most widely read book on hedge funds with over 70,000 copies released to date.
Richard runs the 40,000 member Hedge Fund Group, FamilyOffices.com, and HedgeFundBlogger.com, the #1 most popular blog on hedge funds. Richard has a background is third party marketing, capital raising, and risk management process improvement. Richard earned his M.B.A. from the University of Portland, and he studied the application of psychology of influence and persuasion to marketing and sales while living in Boston and attending Harvard University.
"Richard's program really provides new and emerging managers with the toolkit and strategies to really begin establishing the foundation for capital raising and growing their hedge fund business to the next level."
- Tom Aitken, Thomas Capital Partners
Robert M. Sackett, has joined our sponsor TradeStation Prime Services, a division of TradeStation Securities, Inc. as Senior Managing Director after spending the last 17 years at Citigroup Global Markets Inc. At Citigroup, Rob headed the sales trading and the trading desk of the Securities Lending specials group. Rob’s broad array of clients included retail, institutional, and hedge fund customers.
Rob co-runs Prime Services, where he is head of business development, responsible for building out the division’s offering. Rob has an undergraduate degree from Lehigh University and an MBA from the New York University’s Stern School of Business. Rob holds FINRA series 7, 24 and 63 licenses.
During this workshop Rob will be discussing what securities lending means to those hedge funds with less than $200M in Assets Under Management (AUM), including the covering of the recent shift in securities lending access, continued borrowing pressure on small hedge funds (IB access).
Jonathan White heads strategic business development for VITEOS Fund Services (Fund Administration and Middle/Back Office Outsourcing) based in New York, bringing over 18 years of global sales and marketing experience to VITEOS in ‘high touch’ client service engagements. Mr White previously served as Business Development Manager for NorthPoint Solutions, a business and software technology consultant to Hedge Funds, and prior to NorthPoint as Managing Principal of a global third party marketing firm representing alternative asset money managers to institutional investors .
VITEOS is the one, bespoke fund administration solution for hedge funds. Offering a full suite of services encompassing; fund administration, middle and back office outsourcing, operational support, software implementation and related services to hedges funds. VITEOS’ strength is in its progressive, consultative approach to fund administration, creating customized solutions around fund administration and middle/back office outsourcing.
Douglas F. MacLean is the Managing Member of Armor Law Group (www.armorlawgroup.com) located in Boston, Massachusetts. Mr. MacLean has been an attorney for over 10 years, including 9 years at the international law firms of Bingham McCutchen, K&L Gates and Latham & Watkins in New York and Boston. He has counseled onshore and offshore hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate funds, venture capital funds and funds-of-funds on formation, structure, compliance, marketing and reorganizations. In addition, he has worked with unregistered and registered investment advisers of open- and closed-end registered investment companies, managed accounts, and various private funds regarding formation, taxation, registration, advertising, broker-dealer distribution, AIMR-PPS/GIPS Standards and SEC/SRO/CFTC compliance
Mr. MacLean also serves as the Managing Member of Armor Compliance (www.armorcompliance.com), a comprehensive compliance consulting firm for private equity and hedge fund managers. Mr. MacLean is also the founder of SageTree Seminars LLC (www.sagetreeseminars.com), an educational company that organizes compliance seminars for private equity and hedge fund managers. Mr. MacLean graduated cum laude from Harvard College and graduated from Cornell University with a J.D. from Cornell Law School and an M.B.A. from the Johnson Graduate School of Management. He has also served as a business law professor at Tufts University, is a CFA candidate and has passed the Series 7, 39, 63 and 65 examinations. Mr. MacLean was also recognized as a 2009 and 2010 Massachusetts Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Here are regulation and compliance questions that you will have answers by Douglas MacLean during this workshop:
- Do you need to take any exams before you can manage a hedge fund?
- Does my management company need to register with the State of New York or SEC?
- How do I legally pay referral fees to contacts who refer me investors?
- What filings does my hedge fund need to make?
- Why does a managed account cause significant compliance issues in the State of New York?
For attending this event you will also receive access to:
- An attorney's detailed review of the Investment Advisers Act, New York State Law, Investment Adviser Representatives, Required Examinations, Form ADV, Compliance Manuals, Managed Accounts, Securities Exchange Act and Required Filings. This discussion provides you with one full hour of Legal considerations, guideposts, and input from three leading hedge fund formation experts (Most hedge fund lawyers charge over $300/hr)
- Training from a securities lending expert who will share tips on increasing alpha on the lending side and how you can get better pricing as an emerging hedge fund manager
- We have done the research and built the relationships to create a list of qualified and researched hedge fund service providers that we have completed interviews with and worked with for years, and we will also be providing you with a Service Provider RFP to use to help you evaluate and interview potential service providers to help run your hedge fund
- The 70 Page AUM BluePrint: An e-book on capital raising best consulting advice for hedge fund managers which normally sells for $140
- A Request For Proposal (RFP) Master Template to complete so you are ready to quickly and professionally respond to the most challenging and detailed RFPs from potential investors
- Educational video content on the hedge fund business ecosystem, common hedge fund terms, and best practices in the industry
- An open transcript of an interview with an established hedge fund manager who provides advice on what he learned while launching his hedge fund
- A list of the top 5 daily business habits of highly successful hedge funds which are able to raise capital consistently, and beat the odds to stay in business and thrive long-term
Example Hedge Fund Startup Costs:
- 8 Hours of Consulting Advice Costs: $1,250
- Real Estate Lease Down Payment: $4,000
- Monthly Fund Administration Costs: $1,750+
- Marketing Material Creation Services: $2,250
- Legal Fund Formation Costs: $10,000+
- Cost of our Workshop on February 9th, 2011: $475
Risk Free Offer: We have over 3,000 hours of practical experience in this area and now we have invested over 250 hours ensuring this workshop is valuable to running your emerging manager business, so we are offering it to you risk free.
If you attend this conference, and don't get at least $5,000 of value, the Hedge Fund Group will give you 100% of your money back and you can keep the e-books and swipe files for your trouble. Richard is offering this because Richard has included so many valuable interviews, reports, tips, strategies, templates, and best practices here and the Hedge Fund Group knows you will benefit from their use. The last time the Hedge Fund Group did this not single person in the crowd requested a refund and everyone got a ton of value out of the training seminar.
4 Bonuses Worth $725: Participants in this workshop will receive a number of bonuses that can be taken advantage of during the event, these will include:
- As a bonus for completing this program you will receive audio recorded interviews with 6 hedge fund veterans with startup and capital raising experience, they will share their #1 most valuable point of advice worth at least $1,000 learned from working with the collective 900+ hedge fund startup clients they have worked with in the past. This is 100% free to access after the event and worth at least $500 alone.
- An hour of bonus video-based capital raising instructions, common pitfalls, and strategies to use within the first 36 months of running your hedge fund business. This video was shot at a conference in Boca Raton, Florida where participants paid over $1,400 to attend.
- If you haven't already purchased them you get a free copy of my $75.00 Hedge Fund Training Manual published by Wiley in 2010, as well as our Start A Hedge Fund Now E-Book which contains $1,000 worth of my hedge fund startup consulting advice.
- Discounted access to our Certified Hedge Fund Professional (CHP) program or capital raising directories of investor contact details including common investors such as family offices, wealth management firms, institutional investment consultants, and fund of hedge funds.
Verifiable Testimonials: Richard's team has trained over 1,600 professionals in the last three years. Below are some of the latest quotes and testimonials that were submitted to us. Please email us to receive a reference from any of the hedge fund managers and hedge fund professionals below who have used and benefited from our full day intensive workshop programs.
"A very thorough overview of the hedge fund startup process."
- Jonathan McGlothan, Certified Hedge Fund Professional (CHP) member
"The workshop content was relevant and educational, after the workshop my mind was racing with new ideas and ways to improve all aspects of my strategy and implementation of my strategy. Like any great coach or motivator I left the workshop more inspired and with a deeper desire to suceed."
- Jay Robbins, GBS Life Plans
"From a marketing and networking perspective my time spent today and the cost of the seminar was the best use of my time and money in a very long time."
- Mike Roberts, AJG
"The workshop was well worth my time to fly to New York. You gave me a lot of great ideas and motivation to get out there and raise more capital."
- Jace Vernon, Why Lucid FX
"The program opened up my eyes to what investos need to see to be confident in our investment strategy and manaement team as well as our product. Great presentation!
- Paul A. Thomas, Oil States Trading
"Terrific workshop. It provided great insights into the pitfalls many managers make in setting up and marketing their funds. THe exercises provide a great opportunity for self examination and networking"
- Alan Swide, Stone Beach Investment Management
"Richard provided specific actions I plan to take in order to increase the effectiveness of my capital raising strategies. In all, today was time well spent."
- John Bowman, TIF Fund Management LLC
"Any serious emerging hedge fund practioner is encouraged to participate in this program early to avoid startup regrets and unncessary cost build-ups. The program is a terrific companion to early success in the new world of professional investing."
- Francis Ahiche, Supp Capital Management
"Pretty much like a short 1-Day MBA program for hedge fund managers on the business side. Thank You!"
- Ace Trade
"This workshop was very informative especially considering the time spent. There is a lot of information packed into a short period of time. The presenter was very well qualified and knowledgeable and they did an excellent job of providing impartial information not slanted towards their company. Very good workshop. Thank You."
- Bobt Dillard
"The presentation was excellent, very practical and worth of its own merit. I know more now than if I was to try and learn this material through other courses. Richard is down to earth in presenting and his advice is doable and real. "
- Dennis E. Carr, Bancport Commercial Capital
"Great workshop. Extremely informative for anyone starting or operating a fund. It really gave us real info about different infrastructure tools that would improve our firm and fund."
- Yaron Ron Reuen, President & CEO of Reuven Enterprises, Inc.
"The Emerging Manager Workshop was a great opportunity to learn from experienced marketers and network with peers within our investment space. I would definitely recommend these events to other commodity advisors"
- Matt Slaton Slaton Capital Management
"It was a pleasure meeting you today at the NYC Hedge Fund Marketing Mechanics Seminar, hosted by you/your firm. I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation and your hedge fund marketing ideas/insight. Again, thank you for hosting such an informative and thought-provoking event. I look forward to attending future events held by your firm."
- Mike Krumenacker, Directory of Business Development & Investor Relations at Taum Sauk Capital Management
"The workshop helped me to define the different stages I need to go through to set up a hedge fund and be successful. The whole process doesn't seem as daunting as it did about 8 hours ago."
- Jason Balla, Trader
"Overall, the seminar was informative and practical."
- Victoria Crisologo
"Great information and marketing suggestions, also good information on topics relevant to new funds."
- Tarlan Ellis, Investor Analytics
"This event helped to organize my appraoch to fund formation."
"This marketing training can be applied to many areas of fund management and capital raising. I gained a lot of universal knowledge from this seminar. THANK YOU!!"
- David Weintraub, CPA
"Richard provides an engaging workshop that encourages interaction with members of the workshop. Talking with and building relationships with the attendees and the sponsors is a key benefit. Thanks I will be back for more in the future."
- Harvey Saxs, HSAX Partners
"I was able to see how important it is to have set procedures for everything including fund raising. Also received plenty of legal and compliance informaiton that is very practical and useful."
- Yaron Reuven, Reuven Enterprises
"I feel like I have become more knowledgeable overall about the business of hedge funds. I thought using PowerPoint was helpful and I enjoyed the workbook exercises that were included as well."
- Donny Dillard
"Content - excellent. Speakers - great. Presentation Style of Information - preferred."
- Subhash Gosine
"Lots of information delivered in a short amount of time (8 hours)"
"Richard’s Hedge Fund Marketing Seminar in NYC was educational, current, and inspiring. We all benefitted from Richard’s breadth of knowledge surrounding the hedge fund marketing arena as his presentation delved into the granular level, while only providing valuable, relevant information. His stories and anecdotes were woven seamlessly into the presentation, serving as both motivational and informative tools."
- Justin Browe, Founding Partner Sage Lane Capital
Great! We needed your sales perspective, a new angle for our type of business.
- Manuel Lazerov, American Infrastructure Investors
"Absolutely sincere and a great source and fountain of information. Real life examples of what to do regardless of the level of the participant, useful for everyone from beginners to pros in hedge fund marketing."
- Gene Czaplinsky, Cossack Investment Advisors
"I have found this seminar most useful as a financial services professional transitioning from a career in institutional equity sales into a third party marketing or hedge fund marketing role. For me, I needed a smart practical introduction into this new career path, and I got it! I am very pleased that I was able to participate. Richard Wilson was excellent!"
- Vikram Kapur, Independent Capital Raiser
"Lots of great tips that were all very practical."
- Doug McArthur, Global Wave Capital
"Very much worth my time."
- Peter Christensen
"Valuable information that was well organized and presented. Two tips I plan on implementing are the FAQ One Pagers and Daily Capital Raising Rituals."
- Robert Christy, The Christy Group
"This conference differentiated the truly important tasks ans processes from the those that just eat up time. The material helped me focus on my attitutde and work habits to drive the appropriate behaviors to increase my chances of raising sticky assets for our funds."
- Michael Mastey, PNC
"The workshop tells me just what marketing materials I need and some guidance on how to get started. Richard is very knowledgeable and sincere (not a typical sales guy), which is much appreciated."
- Judy Snyder
"Richard's seminar goes way beyond the basic premises on marketing your fund, he actually teaches "blocking and tackling" of building a marketing infrastructure. Also covered were the often smaller details that many ignore, but actually are the building blocks to a successful and long-term hedge fund marketing strategy."
- Josh Roach, Phi Group Capital
"The seminar was an excellent opportunity to gather information regarding hedge fund marketing."
- Lawrence Chiarello, Sky View Advisors
"It was great!"
- Susan Kang, The Roc Fund
"I found the seminar absolutely thought provoking and inspiring. Quite a number of the ideas shed light on new hedge fund marketing ideas. Not only things I wasn't doing but, more importantly, on things that I am presently doing but that could be done much better!"
- Jeff Anthony, Park Avenue Asset Management
"I got the overall marketing ideas, money well spent."
- Jeeva Ramaswamy, GJ Investment Funds, LP
"I was able to network with professionals in all aspects of the hedge fund industry."
- Vikram Raja, real estate fund manager
"I enjoyed the program very much. It gave me systematical approach to expanding my gig through sales and marketing!"
- Shaun Styles
"The information given in this seminar shortened my learning curve in the hedge fund marketing space."
- Thomas McCloskey, Peconic Trading
"I feel the Hedge Fund Marketing Mechanics training program was structured very well with exercises."
- Paul Watts, Bedrock Commercials
"Exceptionally detailed presentation of capital raising techniques and strategies that will get our marketing off to the right start."
- Patrick Donoghue, Future Gen Capital
"The most valubale part of the Hedge Fund Marketing Mechanics program was the common sense sale and marketing principles that we often forget to employ because we are too close to it all."
- Jack Luchese, Fund Manager
"A great overall plan for anyone starting up a fund and good specific hedge fund marketing strategic advice for growing or well established hedge fund managers."
- Mark Lewinstein, Fund Manager
"There is no magic pill when it comes to raising capital. You have to stick to it and be prepared to work hard. You have to develop great relationships, don't just sell."
- Michele O'Grady, Philo Smith & Co. Investment Management
"What is the probability that you are aware of every capital raising strategy that is available to you? What are the chances that you have secured all the networking relationships you must have to build a multi-billion dollar fund? If you take away just one new capital raising strategy or create one new networking relationship the return from your investment could be 1000%+.....In my book the risk/reward for the seminar is a good trade...I know I made my original investment back about 2 hours into the seminar...What I do with the rest of the knowledge is all profits from here...In addition, you get to meet some of your competition which is always fun."
- Craig Coletta, CFA CMT
"Thank you for a well planned and well run marketing seminar. I learned a great deal."
- Patrick Donogue, FutureGen Capital
"This has been exactly what I needed tog et my marketing jump started. I now have the tools and no excuses not to succeed. The rest is up to me.
- Ed Meek, Edge Portfolio Management
"The workshop reinforced principles fromt he past, introduced new ideas reelvant to the current capital raising environment and provided isnights of how to compete effectively."
- Anthony Vespa, The Vespa Group
"Hedge Fund Marketing Mechanics provided a temendous amount of information all pacekd into one training program. I recieved at least 2-3 ideas that I can take away right now and start using tomorrow to improve our capital raising processes. Thanks!"
- Trent Brown, Fund Marketer
"Richard Wilson’s expert knowledge and current insights about the hedge fund universe provided an invaluable check list of the dos and don’ts in hedge fund marketing."
- Johanna Thornblad, Meridian Fund Managers
"I loved all of the practical techniques I can implement immediately o be more efficient in raising funds. Also this is the first seminar I have attended that offers marketing strategies for any specific financial product, very much appreciated!"
- Christina Falla, Krea Group